Monday, June 9, 2014

My traveling musician

I haven't written in awhile, I guess I have been holding off for a number of reasons. The first reason being that in the wake of recent events I did not know what was the most import thing to say. It's not that these "events" were of too much importance and could not stand to compete with each other in the race for the focus of my next "blog" but simply that I was battling between writing about something that was positive or something that was negative- both of those things come to me sometimes almost simultaneously. Khalil Gibran puts it very wisely and I came across these words of his at the most perfect time for me to completely soak in to them, to stain myself with them, to become one with them because this is truth and this is my truth right now.

The second reason, the more personal reason, is that I began to pick away at myself towards defeat in saying that these "blogs" held no real purpose anymore aside from my own self-satisfaction from writing- "Why don't you just get a journal then?". I know I thought my initial birth story touched people deeply as it was pretty descriptive and raw and on a subject that is not often talked about. I know that is the initial response and that the rest of this journey is kind of obsolete to anyone else but me. you heard the unspeakable, the unbearable, the unbelievable- and now you move on. Who would want to hear my whining and my personal philosophizing on the subject of grief? Am I a broken record? Am I now just on the borderline of self pity? Hovering over the edge of a traumatic experience that is now 10 weeks and 4 days since past? Quite frankly, who gives a shit anymore? Do I want to subject myself to the continued blog that goes un-noticed? Why would I put myself out there like this to the online community if I think that no one is going to read it anymore?

The reason I am writing again is because I now KNOW people are. Over 17,000 page views since I created this blog 2 weeks ago. I don't know if that is a substantial number for anyone who has a serious online presence or not but it seems like a substantial number to me. I have received messages and emails from people all over North America thanking me for writing. It didn't hit me until I was about to go to bed last night and checked my e-mail. I received a beautiful e-mail from a complete stranger who made me realize that my documenting of the loss of my son is important. She hadn't experienced this herself, in fact she wrote me as she held her sleeping baby in her arms. This woman gave birth to her living daughter the same day I gave birth to my dead son. She told me that my story has changed who she was as a parent and thanked me for making her a better mother. She told me she thinks of me and Hayden each time she is on the brink of insanity from 24/7 care for her infant and changes her outlook from frustration to appreciation as she imagines what it must feel like for me to continue life without having those moments. After reading that email and calling Nick out from our room to read it too I spent the the first few hours in bed wide awake thinking about what this impact on other people meant for me and for my baby who is not here. Nick slept peaceful with his arm over me nuzzled into my neck and I could not drift away for the life of me as I marveled in what this new found feeling meant. "Hayden was here."

Another email from a complete stranger came today from a woman in South Carolina  who recently had a healthy baby, she told me she had been following my blog and that she has told all her friends and family about Nick, Hayden and I. She told me how strong I was, how much of an inspiration I was, and then she signed off with these last words - "I'm so glad you shared your story. You deserve some recognition for how wonderful you and your family are, and I just wanted you to know that it reached all the way down here. Hayden's getting a little taste of the South :)."

My son, my precious creation, my little Hayden who was only alive long enough to know the world from the inside of my womb has his name and legacy floating around in places I could never imagine myself having the chance to travel to in my life time. What a little globe trotter!! I always thought I knew exactly what Hayden would have been like. Curious, talented, wise, a traveler of life, an open and free spirit. I knew these things about him before he was even born, when he was still just a life inside me growing and dependent completely on my body. At my baby shower we did a game where everyone wrote down what they predicted Hayden would be when he grew up on a little piece of paper and placed it in a "time capsule jar" which he was supposed to open on his 18th birthday. No one knew what the other had written yet when I looked through them later that night with friends THREE times people said he would be a traveling musician! (One said a traveling horticulturist which I guess still adds value to  the globe trotter theme). How is that possible? What are the odds? His legacy is like music now, and his story and mine are reaching people in places I never thought possible.

















I know this will never be easy, I knew that from the beginning, but I know now that it even though it does not really get better good things come from it. I have a voice now, I have a reason to write and a purpose to speak out. I can help women "become a better mother" and I can help other's who are going through the same tragedy feel they are not alone. So for those of you who have thanked me for my story, for my honesty, my bravery and my strength, I now thank YOU for the encouragement that this all means something and matters. And, most importantly, for letting Hayden have an impact on this world.

-Hayden's Mama xox


5 comments:

  1. Dear Hayden's mom-
    I just wanted to let you know that someone down in Georgia is thinking of you and your husband as you travel this terrible road. I lost my husband suddenly when I was 31. It was the darkest place I've ever been...and I never thought I would see light again. But I did...I met a man a few years later and remarried...we had several devestating moments trying to get pregant on our own and with IVF. I had two miscarriages...but finally, with the grace of God, I got pregnanat and finally have my miracle and that's what babies are, miracles. So many women have no idea how hard it is to have a healthy baby and that so many things can go wrong...so I know I have a miracle and I cherish that every day. Please know there are many prayers for you here in Georgia.
    Stacie from Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacie, thank you so much for sharing that with me. I am so sorry, I cannot imagine what it would be like for you to lose your husband, your best friend!. i am so happy you found love again and that you were finally able to have a little one. Your comment has made me think of two different things. First, it reminded me of the recent death of 3 RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) officers. I am sure you heard the story on the news, here in the town next to mine there was a man walking around with guns and a cross bow and he shot and killed three police! Their ages were 32, 40, and 45. The 32 year old had a new wife, and 18 month old daughter and a baby due in September. I cannot imagine this kind of devastation, I can in a way i guess but it has a different impact. You have no idea how precious life is because it can be taken away in the blink of an eye. the second thing your comment made me think of was a conversation I had with a friend recently. She was telling me about her boyfriend's cousin (or sister or sister's friend..I really don't remember the connection).And this woman has been trying to conveive for a very long time and has reoccuring miscarriages, she said she wrote about her experience with infertility and made a point i will never forget. So often when we see a woman in her 30's without children we assume that is a choice. We say things like "When are you going to start popping out some babies!" And it is meant well but there is a good chance we have just hurt that person because, little do we know, she has been trying to "pop out a baby" for a very long time and has dealt with losing pregnancies ealy and has a deeply difficult and private time dealing with this... I will never say that to anyone again. Infertility touches way too many people, miscarriages and stillbirth do too. Thank you for your comment and know you are in my prayers as well xo

      Delete
  2. Thinking of you all, in Connecticut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Samm - this most recent post struck home. Each time I yak about Norah or post something on FB, I have those same feelings that you described...and it has been 4 years for me. DON'T stop writing, unless you feel this aspect of your journey has been fulfilled. Each time we speak and remember, we are celebrating who they were and who we are as families with one member in heaven...giant hugs...Norah's Mama...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, i read your blog telling your birth story, and as many others, tears soaked my face. My friend shared it on fb, all i knew is it was about a strong courageous couple, and that we should all be thankful for our days. I had no idea what i was about to read, and my heart goes out to you. Last september, after weeks of pain, i caved and wen to the dr and was told i was expecting. Shocked, but also very excited, as my two are 8 and 6. This seemed like a miracle, as i was on mirena and had been for four years. Then the bloodwork came back, and i was told although i was pregnant, they couldnt find anything anywhere. the numbers werent high enough, but maybe it was all too early.. but nothing being told to me made sense. Then I was told i had to have a shot of methotrexate, or chemo, to speed things up. Terminate was the word they used. I had wanted that baby for years. Every week, i had to go for bloodwork and get the results, waiting for the hormone levels to be at 0. it was still hanging on, so i had to have a 2nd dose, which i guess is kind of rare. it was a 3 month ordeal, finally being told the first week of january that the hormone was 'less than 1'' meanwhile, my bes friend had just had her baby, and two others were expecting, I could totally relate to you sitting in the office with the expectant moms, i did that, being so upset and mad, thinking that should be me. alot of anger.. ive really felt like someone upstairs is really mad at me for something although im not sure what. I think you are a very brave couple and will always have your rainbow baby watching over you, and im glad you found this as a release, and hope it helps you as it seems it does. Keep on keeping on, and ill keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Also excuse my crappy typing, hard to see through the tears and my keyboard really sucks!

    ReplyDelete