Thursday, June 5, 2014

Stress won't make a "Rainbow"

I would call myself a moderately private person. That is to say that I don't mind having an open life, I do have a Facebook account and, obviously, this blog, but I am modest enough to keep my personal life personal. Today I am going to deter from that a bit because I've had a bad morning and want to "talk" (write) about it and also think this may relate well to other women out there who have recently (or ever) experienced stillbirth. 

Yes.. SEX. I am going to share a little bit about that.

For me, there has been an indescribable strong desire to become pregnant again since shortly after losing Hayden. I know that for some that may seem strange and for others completely normal. In my research of the various emotions we feel after losing a child in birth there are many people who cannot imagine trying to conceive another baby so soon and others who desperately need that. There is also the contrast of some needing to feel that closeness with their partner and others who cringe at the thought of being touched. Whatever you happen to feel after this unfair fate is totally fine, there are no rules to this. 

In the first week after Hayden I so badly needed to feel intimate with Nick. The depression, shock, grief, and incredible feeling of emptiness was more than I could bear and to be as close as possible was all I wanted. Unfortunately, the injuries of natural labor prevented a lot of that. What a sick joke. What a huge "F-You* to be added on top of everything- the actual PHYSICAL inability to consummate our love for each other after a tragedy. It took me almost 5 weeks to heal and that was really difficult for me to accept. The waiting...If Hayden were here and we were busy adapting to new parent life, fawning over our beautiful baby and filled with the every day joys that came with his mini milestones I am sure "sex" would have been the farthest thing from our minds. Instead, we were left with nothing. Nothing... after 41 weeks of pregnancy, 41 weeks of dreaming, 41 weeks of waiting, 41 weeks of planning...nothing. 

In my need to try for another baby ASAP (our "Rainbow" baby, as we call it in the stillbirth and miscarriage community) I decided to get on top of my fertility understanding. I downloaded an APP on my iPhone called "Kindara" ( check it out here ) which is a gem for anyone interested in learning about how their cycle works and looking to increase their chances of either getting pregnant or staying unpregnant. My first period after birth came on the 18th of May, about 7.5 weeks after Hayden. I started taking my temperatures every morning to follow my natural cycle as it took its course and find out when the best chance to conceive would be. I guess the only issue is that when you get in to the "fertile" stage you will only know that you ovulated the day after you ovulated when you experience a temperature spike. Today I found out that I ovulated yesterday and yesterday was the ONLY day we did not try to conceive. I had an absolute melt down this morning when I charted my temperature and realized I missed out on my first great opportunity to get pregnant. I've heard it is common to be moody on your ovulation day and yesterday I was just cranky and we were both tired, I didn't even realize we forgot until after we were both practically asleep. I drove Nick to his job site this morning so I could have the car today, it is raining and gloomy and I didn`t want to feel isolated with such a heavy heart. The morning traffic on the way home was brutal and I spent 30 minutes in a barely moving lineup of cars alone with my thoughts. Thank heavens for my dear friend (also) Sam who took a desperate early a.m call and talked me through my panic, and for my Mother who did the same.

Today I feel angry with myself, I feel dissapointed and depressed. I borrowed one of those Birth Date Wheels from my doctors office which calculates when your baby would be born based on ovulation/last period etc... I looked at it ALL the time "Oh!! Look!! We would have our baby by January if I get pregnant now!" (what I said last month before my period even returned) or, more recently,  "Nick, check it out, we could have our baby on your birthday in February if we get pregnant during this cycle!"....Now, now that I probably screwed up my chances this month the only thing I have to be hopeful for is the possibility we conceive our baby next, and to be honest, there is something I don't like about that possibility. If we get pregnant on my next cycle then we would be having another March baby. Something doesn't feel right about that. I had a March baby and he died. March is now a very dark month for me. I would prefer to leave that Month alone for the rest of my life if possible, and hopefully, if it is considerate enough, it will leave me alone too. 

I know, I know I know.. everything will fall in to place when it should/ it will happen when it is the right time/ blah blah blah.

I am sorry to be so demanding here Mr. Life, God, Lady Fate..but I NEED this. I am counting on the joy, excitement (and yes, fear) of becoming pregnant with another sweet baby. I want my smile back and I don't want to wait too long. 
Here I am at the end of my 1st trimester with Hayden- so full of excitement and wonder


Thank you for reading, sorry for the details..

Xox,

Hayden`s Mama





8 comments:

  1. I can so relate. I was scared to be intimate - scared of conceiving after having delivered a 'silent' baby, yet wanting another baby with everything that was within me. It is a twisted paradox of wanting to be pregnant while fearful of being pregnant.
    HUGS to you on this day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I envy you for being in a place where you are wanting to try for another baby again. Intimacy with my husband causes me such anxiety now. No one ever prepared me for what the death of my unborn baby could do to my sex life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie, we all are going to grieve this differently and our time lines for when we can accept sex back in to our lives with ease will be different. Just continue to feel how you feel and question yourself with what some of your fears are. Perhaps talking them out to yourself wll help rationalize what is simply anxiety- anxiety can be conquered! I myself have always struggled with anxiety issues, before finding out i was pregnant i was on Prozac (which i stopped takign in my pregnancy) and then I started them again after losing Hayden, along with 2-3 Ativans a day, I had 3 different doctors persribing them to me and had to go to different pharmacies to fill them as some were aprehensive ..I should have just told them I recently gave birth to a dead baby and maybe then they wouldnt have looked at me like a drug addict. I have since stopped the prozac and the adivans, I have been doing yoga, riding my bike, and other things to try to ease my anxiety. mel, you will feel comfortable trying again when the time is right for YOU, I beleive that for sure! And when you do you will conceive a beautiful little rainbow child whom you will love more than you ever thought possible. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. First I want to say how sorry I am for you. I've never experienced a stillbirth but did miscarry my first pregnancy after almost 3 years of trying to conceive. The heart ache and struggle lasted almost 2 years.... up until I finally got pregnant again. My reason for commenting it because I miscarried in September. It was the worst month ever. I was due march 27th (my moms birthday) well my first child was born in sept. On my first anniversary. September is now the best month ever for me. I say GO FOR IT. TURN MARCH INTO A MONTH TO BE HAPPY AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lacey! Your due date was the day my son was born sleeping. He was due on the 23rd and was late. We got married on the 27th of this month (last Friday) to turn the 27th into a nice number again. Our son would be 3 months old. XOX

      Delete
  5. oh man do I know this feeling. I am in the thick of it. After losing my baby hours after birth, I know that feeling of waiting and waiting only to have empty arms. and without any living children, I just ache to put all that love somewhere. My period is coming up and I have this sense that it's going to come which means I"m not pregnant. I dread the day it comes- when reality hits and hope falls. After much deliberation, I think we might get a dog. I know my stress and anxiety work against me and I hope that if I concentrate on a dog, maybe my mental state will ease and surprise , I"ll get knocked up? the good news for you is sperm lives for days in your body as do eggs, so there is still a chance. here's to hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Meghan, this post was from my last cycle- not pregnant... and I've been all screwed up with my charting this cycle (my 2nd since birth) so at this point I don't even know if I even ovulated this month. I had a really great chat on a video call with a fertility counselor from Colorado, she heard my story and offered some free advice and to review my chart with me free of charge which was super nice of her. She made me aware of the the "pre-mester" which, in the fertility world, is what they call the time before getting pregnant as being very important to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimester of pregnancy. For a woman who is wanting to become pregnant she should be aware that she is in the "premester" and take all the steps necessary to create and maintain a healthy environment for her baby. I am going to start looking at my time without a child in my womb as still part of that process and take my vitamins, start eating better and focusing on the preparation with as little stress as possible. Her site can be found here : http://www.redcoralfertility.com/ Justina is a very wonderful person with a fountain of knowledge on the subject I suggest taking a look at what she has to offer.. and, yes, GET A DOG!!! I wish I could! I already have a dog and a cat in a small apartment but I often go to the local shelter for some animal therapy and to the race horse track to hang out with the horses in the stables..they all know me there now haha. It is so soothing to be around animals when you are highly stressed or anxious. All the best to you and I am so sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you! XOX

      Delete